Thursday, June 23, 2011

Winter Harvest


I said to the Garbageman, "If you're serious about getting out of the city and living the rural life, prove it - grow some vegies." So he did. He and Lola planted spring onions, broccoli, carrots and Tuscan cabbage (cavolo nero for the fancypantsies).


Brave folk, planting their first garden as winter approached. 


Brave but successful. Yesterday they harvested the cabbage. Two whole plants worth. It looked like a fine bunch of leaves. "Two's enough," I said.


I blanched it, then sauteed it quickly in olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper. Simple, delicious fare. Of course, those two hearty bunches quickly wilted to a very small pile of greens on the plate.


Luckily there was some roast pork with crackling, rosemary potatoes and creamy cauliflower to go with it.

2 comments:

  1. there's some food love!
    it looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Finally, the garbage man makes an appearance!! Luckily I know he's real, or I probably wouldn't believe he exists!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Thanks for yours!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...