Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Summer Cardigans and Slaughter


There were so many wonderful comments from the Yarn Alongers last week. I so appreciated all of the sage advice from wise mums of older children, assuring me my time would free up in the years to come. And then there were the handful of practical suggestions for grabbing at knitting moments during these hectic days. I've even had some success on that front, but more about that soon.

I'm still Eating Animals, or rather, reading about it. I've moved through chicken slaughter and the threat of bird-borne pandemics and I've sloshed about in a manure pollution problem, and now I'm pushing my way through a breeding sow's typical crate-bound gestation. This is serious business. The book is amazing and as un-put-downable as any good thriller, but the content is far more unsettling - and all of it, I have to assume, true. Already only halfway through, I'm wondering if I can ever buy meat of unknown origin again. Good timing, then, this move to the country where it's possible to purchase food direct from growers within a few kilometres of our new home. I'll be researching and exploring all of those options as soon as things settle down after the move. And I'll be pulling out my meat-free recipes, and seeking out new ones, far more often.

We're off on a long-planned holiday next week, so I'm on the lookout for a nice, easy, light holiday read. Any suggestions? Chicken slaughter and e. coli optional. 

Having dispensed with old Grass Green this week, I've cast on a summer cardigan for one (or both) of my toddlers, and it's knitting up very quickly. "How?" you might ask. Well, I've come up with a bit of a device that helps me knit on the move. It's quite organic. Bodily, in fact. I've worked out if I tuck the ball of yarn down in my, ahem, cleavage, ensuring the  yarn is a centre-pull ball, I can wander about overseeing playdough squishing and crayon drawing, changing the music, even tending to something on the stove, all without having to put the knitting down. I still need a hand or two to hold it (I'm yet to come up with that hanging feature I spoke of last week) but at least I can be mobile without all the putting down, picking up and putting down again. I'm assuming this is working for now because of the circular needles that keep it all close, and the fact it is a little kid knit without much bulk. Quite satisfying, though, at any rate.

The pattern I'm working with is called Jane - another from Tikki, a favourite of mine. I'm using Debbie Bliss Cotton DK in a soft blue. I might be planning all of my winter knitting in anticipation of our long and cold country winter next year, but I'll hold out for just a little longer with these light warmer-weather projects.

11 comments:

  1. I can't help but laugh at the image of yarn tucked down a cleavage to enable knitting on the move, that's brilliant!

    Being in the Northern Hemisphere I was slightly confused by the idea of knitting a summer cardigan right now - until I remembered you live in one of my favourite cities and it'll be a lot warmer where you are!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reading through some of your comments from last week reminded me that I saw a guy about 6 months ago, knitting a beautiful scarf, while strap-hanging on a Sinagpore night bus at midnight - and those drivers don't exactly care if you drop a stitch! It was incredible, and I tried to take sneaky pictures but my camera wasn't as good as his stitching in the shoogelly darkness!

    Hmmm easy holiday reads? The ones that really spring to mind are The Help, The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, or One Day. Easy peasy lemon squeezy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is quite a mental picture lol! That sweater is very sweet, hope to see it when you get pics.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is quite a mental picture lol! That sweater is very sweet, hope to see it when you get pics.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw a wonderful old photograph of a crofting woman from the 1800s, with a huge creel of peat on her back, knitting away as she walked along the road. A large central apron pocket is useful, but yes - cleavage would be fine too. Your current reading sounds just up my street, - Joel Salatin is good too.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE the "knitting on the go" picture I have of you in my head!!!! Now that's a dedicated knitter!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmm I guess an ample cleavage is required for knitting on the go then;)
    I couldn't put that book down either. I don't eat meat anyway but that book served as extra reasoning. I read bits out to the man and he was shocked, so disturbing.
    But, you're right, not really a holiday book.....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ha! You made me laugh with your solution for knitting convenience - way to go, creative mom! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. you may have started a trend. :)
    the pattern is darling!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't find it, but I saw a blog recently where Nordic people were reenacting the "apparent" time honoured tradition of walking and knitting. If you are hiking on stony ground, knitting "apparently" comes in handy because you are looking down anyway and can avoid tricky bits! Hmmm I'm still not convinced.
    On another note, though I have one sleeve to go in my Jane also in Cotton DK in RED...will post next week. Great pattern isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  11. that yarn looks so soft and lovely - i'm sure your jane will be divine :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Thanks for yours!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...