Thursday, September 2, 2010

Tomatoes




I saw The Kids Are All Right today. There's a scene in it where Annette Bening's character says something along the lines of, "If I hear another person talking about how much they love heirloom tomatoes, I'll kill myself." I guess you had to be there, but it was pretty funny.

Which brings me to the subject of my post - Lola and I planted some heirloom tomatoes on the weekend. We made nifty little seedling pots out of newspaper, filled them with seed raising mix and sprinkled probably far too many seeds into each one. We planted Amish Paste and Ox Hearts. Every year for the past several, I've planted a few tomato seedlings, and the results have been a bit disappointing. This year, with our new, very sunny backyard, I'm determined to get it right. And it seemed appropriate to start from seeds. They've been enjoying the sunshine by day and sheltering in the garage each night. 

I'm not sure how they will turn out. I was so focused on photographing Lola as she watered our new pots, I didn't notice that she was flooding them - the seeds could very well have floated away. We'll just have to wait 10-14 days to see if anything appears. Grow, little tomatoes, grow.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments. Thanks for yours!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...