Friday, November 9, 2012

Phuket












I'm a bit embarrassed to admit we caught a taxi from Phuket airport to our resort, and five days later caught another from the resort back to the airport. Once upon a time I was far more adventurous - I travelled around Europe alone for two years. And I know other couples can go off the beaten track with their children and backpacks. For this couple, getting our children and luggage through immigration and customs was enough of a challenge. With a pair of wild toddlers too old to sit compliantly in a stroller and too young to walk obediently at heel, a local Thai market or temple seemed an impossibility. And my attempt to go it alone on the final evening was washed away in a stormy downpour. So our five days were spent ensconced in resort-world. Thailand lite.

As far as getting in touch with my lazy side, I can't go past a resort holiday. Being only a few paces away from some type of water; choosing between a beer on the beach or a cocktail by the pool; room service and maid service; the gradual disrobing until it seems completely acceptable to be walking around in nothing but a swimming costume. For all your white flabby bits, there's always someone else whiter and flabbier. Well, probably not many whiter than me.

Throw in kids club and an endless smorgasbord of delicious Thai food, and I couldn't find much to complain about. I think I'd like to return sometime, with fewer children and a bit more of the adventurer's spirit on board.

18 comments:

  1. I love resort holidays. I've done the budget travel in my twenties when doing Asia and Europe. Now I want luxury!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never done the resort thing (or at least with kids) but am hearing you! Maybe with those fewer children, it would be a good idea to go to a resort with an even whiter friend (to make you feel positively golden) to sip those poolside cocktails....! Just thinking out loud....!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Incredible pictures Greer. Sounds like you had an amazing, relaxing time x

    ReplyDelete
  4. just amazing pictures.....I'm not sure Thailand was ever in my top places to visit, but you just may have changed my mind!!! thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well I think it looks and sounds pretty fabulous. Sometimes you need to just rest, not explore. These photos are really something. The light! Gorgeous. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely photos and there's nothing wrong and choosing safety and sanity over mayhem! Once day you can go be adventurous in the future, if you still want to by then :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Planning our first with kids resort trip. Cannot wait but I'm sure it will not be the fun, relaxing times I remember. Your pictures, as usual are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like it was a nice relaxing trip. I'm like you--always wanting to adventure more than relax--but sometimes the relaxing is necessary, especially with the little ones.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ignore your embarrassment -- resorts can be wonderful and it looks like you and your family had a fabulous time, making life-long memories. That's the ultimate reward!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful images in both these holiday posts! I'm feeling quite envious, although I fear the heat would have been too much for me. Those little ladies of yours sure look to have enjoyed themselves!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I haven't done the resort thing but seriously considering one now that we have a toddler. Day to day life with a child is all the adventure I can cope with at the moment :-) x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds pretty delightful to me! Glad u had a great trip!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous photos. Well done on even leaving the country, the furthest we have gone with kids is Melbourne and that was challenging! mel x

    ReplyDelete
  14. What great pics...the best times are the relaxed times!....sounds like a glorious holiday to me....I 'd probably catch a taxi to the pool!!
    Allison ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. i am so envious of a relaxing holiday, sounds really perfect. and your girls are so SO cute!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Brilliant photos by the way.... Oh, and the one of Stella and the swing...needs to be blown up and on a wall. Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Just catching up on all your holiday Posts Greer - fabulous photos and what a great time you all had.! And I agree, I was never one for resort type holidays but with kids it's just the best! I have a soft spot for Thailand as we backpacked around that country for a month for our Honeymoon. Mel x

    ReplyDelete
  18. It looks like a beautiful holiday you all had. And the girls look like they had so much fun. I/we never went to a resort pre babies. But with little ones I think they're the bees knees. xx

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Thanks for yours!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...