Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Box Ticker


I finished The Snow Child and, wow, did it tick some boxes. A really good novel - tick! A not-too-challenging read - tick! Tolerant of my flighty commitment - tick! A ripping tale - tick! Beautifully written - tick! (Oh, my, such beautiful writing - tickticktick!) Did it call out to me all day long? Why, yes. It still does.

What's more, the book compelled me to sneak pages in the car at school pick-up, and sit in unwieldy postures (think one knee and one elbow holding it open) so I could grab a chapter while knitting, snaffling moments throughout my week to read a handful of words here and there.

It came highly recommended by so many - thank you, thank you! And now I will pass that recommendation, with the greatest enthusiasm, to anyone who cares to listen.

This week, with the haunting chill still lingering, I embark on another recommendation - this one from Little Macaroon (have you visited her place? She always makes me chuckle.) I've only just started The Most Beautiful Thing. I'm promised an unputdownable second half.

And knitting? Alas, no beautiful cardigans for myself, or school cardigans for my kid (it's on the list!). Just a lovely stack of squishy soft hats for the much promised Typically Red Knits newborn range. They'll be in the shop just as soon as I can grab some photos of them on a tiny head.

Joining in with the Yarn Along here.

21 comments:

  1. Thank you for such wonderful book recommendations, I love the title The Most Beautiful Thing, just from the name I want to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. gorgeous knits, love the colours. i will have to check that book out x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to go and find The Snow Child tomorrow, thanks for the recommendation! Gorgeous hats ! :) Have a great day, Julie x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for this great book review, if I was in two minds about suggesting it for book group before, I certainly am not any more! (Trouble is it's not my turn for months, can I wait? Or will one of the others pick it before me? What's that you say... middle class first world problem? M'yeh, ok.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was already on my list but now its rushed to the top - thank you

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your bonnets look beautiful all stacked up like that. And you've already finished the book! Now I feel like passing my copy onto one of the ladies above, who would probably finish it and have it back before I will be ready to pick it up again. Right, this weekend then! x

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is about the 4th time today that I've heard of The Snow Child. How can I not read it now? Thanks for the recommendation x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree that The Snow Child was a fantastic read, I was sad when I finished it, because it was finished.. Those are the best books!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh love those "ticks". Will have to check out these books! Your knitting is so fabulous, must, must, must start knitting again. xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Okay, two more books on my reading list -- thank you!! Just took a peak at your etsy shop and love it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I loved the Snow Child and found myself holding while cooking dinner or waiting for the school bus.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love following your work. You do such beautiful knitting.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, now that is a glowing review! One of the best things about reading a terrific book (apart from the obvious), is how excited it gets you for more. I'm reading Into The Wild at the moment, one of my favourite films, but I'm finding it hard to get into. Kellie xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. A gorgeous stack of hats!! I will have to look up both of those books, they sound like I need to read them too, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. ok, i have heard so much about this book. i must get my hands on a copy.
    the color of all those baby hats look wonderful! <3

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your hats are gorgeous, such pretty colours and so soft looking, I wouldn't mind one for myself! I've also added that book to my reading list, sounds like the perfect read for my upcoming holiday, hope it won't compete with my knitting too much though :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gorgeous little hats! Haunting book isn't it :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for the recommendations. I have just started a book and already love it. A good book is one of the best things in life.

    ReplyDelete
  19. i'm so SO glad you loved it, i feel so personally invested in it i might've cried. LOVE your review! darling hats!

    ReplyDelete
  20. oh wow so excited to find your posts about this linkup! i have just joined a local reading group ( a group of mums off the playground) and this will be great for us to find ideas on! taking part next week...may get me inspired to get knitting finished xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  21. You must be the tenth person I know to recommend that book. I should read it - we had 8 inches of snow overnight so a wintry book seems appropriate even though it's technically spring.

    The colours in your knits are really nice. x

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Thanks for yours!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...