Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Bumpy Bonnets


Wow, way to make a girl feel special! Thanks so much for your beautiful comments yesterday. What a lovely bunch of good souls. Next time I feel like a little boost, gosh, I'll rattle off a few meandering thoughts about this blogging lark and hit 'publish'. As good as chocolate, with far fewer calories.


A while back, I was bemoaning the state of my working life and wondering how/why/what/when I might seek out something that satisfies my creative urge rather than just the pesky financial burdens. I think it was Evelyn who said to be open to the signs. Around that time, there had been a rush of people commenting, in real life and here on the blog, about the hats my girls were always wearing. It felt like every other day someone said, "If you go into business, I'll buy one."

Now, whichever way I look at it, knitting kid hats, by hand, just me, will never be all of the answers to all of my prayers. But maybe it's a simple answer to one of them, a supplementary one, if you will. 

With that in mind, I've been busily knittering (that's like tinkering only with knitting needles) away in the background coming up with a few little patterns that are slowly turning into a few little actual hats that sometime soon may appear in a teeny-tiny Etsy shop bearing my name. Why all this incy-wincy, tiddly-widdly talk? 'Cause I'm nervous just mentioning it...

But you know what? I'm sick of meeting new people (and I seem to be meeting a lot at the moment, such is the life of the newby in town) and cowering behind a description of what I do for a living* and yet being so tentative to tell people what I WANT to be doing for a living. More on that soon. More on a lot of stuff soon.

In the meantime, one of my favourite people recently called and asked for a hat for her baby girl. She meant for me to send her a hand-me-down. Instead, because this is a very special little girl, I knit up one of my bonnets. I dug into the stash for some beautiful Debbie Bliss Cashmerino Chunky, because it's so soft and luxurious and I love this colour. And Stella, with the promise of a lollipop when it was all over, agreed to be my model for the shoot. I can call it a shoot now. I've been to The Nursery.



Oh, reading? Why, still 'Simplicity Parenting'. I've taken two huge bags of toys to the charity bins. The girls didn't even notice. I'm struggling a bit more with culling their books. You're readers, you understand.

Yarning Along with the best of them. 


* It's not that I do anything shameful or embarrassing for a living, it's just kind of boring and uninspiring served with a hefty dose of unfulfilled potential.

36 comments:

  1. Lovely post Greer. Your bonnet model is just beautiful. Dash everybody else, do what ever you need to be!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand about the tentative reply about what you do. Unfulfilled potential nails it. Love your hats. Great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. cannot wait to see your little shop, i am adoring that purple loveliness. are you looking at selling your patterns, too? :)sarah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All part of the grand plan, Sarah!

      Delete
    2. (clapping hands like a three year old)!!! yay! hope they will suit a (very) beginner ;)

      Delete
  4. Adorable model...and bonnet! My fave colour too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Getting rid of books is the hardest thing!
    Congratulations on making a plan to do something that you love.
    Beautiful hat!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stella looks adorable in her special knit bonnet.
    I hope you find fullfillment in your new adventure,
    life is too short to spend it disconnented.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a gorgeous pattern, I love the colour you have used and your photos are awesome! All the best for your new sideline!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What beautiful photographs!
    It sounds like there are a lot of exciting things happening for you - good luck with them all. The hat is gorgeous and definitely more than worthy of an etsy shop!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh sweet...I've just read Handmade Market Place by Kari Chapin...you may find it useful...

    Good luck with your venture...
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  10. absolutely adorable!!! Good luck with your new business!!! I know it will be successful! (Your little model could sell anything! She'll be a fabulous marketer!)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good luck with your new venture!! How exciting!

    I've had Simplicity Parenting in my Amazon cart nearly a dozen times and each time I remove it because I can't stand the thought of culling books . . . I hope you have better luck than I do!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Shoot for your dreams I say! Make those hats! I started about a year ago and have sold hundreds of $$ worth so far! Well worth the effort and fulfills my creative side!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I say do it!! You won't regret it. I spent a few years on Etsy and did really well with my crochet patterns and finished items. I am on sabatical now so that my own little ones get momma made items but I might go back in someday. That is the beauty of it and your baby hats are precious. The book sounds wonderful, I am off to look into it at Amazon

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hooray, I am so happy to hear you're opening a shop! Good luck, I am sure you'll be quitting your day job in no time :-) x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Adorable! Love the detail of the back of the hat-very clever. I also like how you paired the hat with those awesome boots! Where were those style of boots in the late sixties early seventies? I would have worn them day in and day out.

    ReplyDelete
  16. greer i know just how you feel, but i'm so excited for you, open the shop it will be an awesome experiance! you have so much talent, i love your photos, your knitting, your wit, follow your dream my dear. and oh my you make beautiful babies too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gorgeous bonnet! I almost want one for myself--lol! I know what you mean about purging the books. I always feel like we should (the Kiddo only really loves about four or five of them anyway) but when it comes to getting the job done, I can never choose. So we keep them all for now.

    ReplyDelete
  18. precious girl! and the bonnet, adorable :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a sweet little face, perfect to frame with a bonnet!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Gorgeous hat on your pretty model, perfect for keeping a little head toasty on these cold days.
    I understand what you mean about the job sometimes the money is not enough to justify going each day.
    Enjoy planning a new direction.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I know exactly how you feel, because I've been just there. And now that my etsy shop has been open for almost two years, I still telling people what I do - I really must get over myself.
    You go for it! It's great! I can't wait to see your shop! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautiful in every way :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Good luck with your shop! I am really pleased for you - I hope it is a huge success. You hats and your photos and your girl are all gorgeous. Good "shoot"!

    I can't cull kid's books. I pack them away (except the really crappy one) and store them because I remember being devastated when I found out that my mum had given all away all our childhood books to a neighbour (when we'd outgrown them - she's not cruel!) I wanted to reread and revisit them. I still have some and boy are they precious! Hoard away. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Clearly i should type more accurately and proof read my comments before hitting publish!

      Delete
  24. Beautiful. The hat, the girl, and the sentiments. Good luck with your "knittering"... I wish you all the best!

    ReplyDelete
  25. These photos are so beautiful! I love the little wooly hat.

    ReplyDelete
  26. so lovely! I can't bring myself to close this page because I keep looking at that gorgeous hat (and model!)

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love this bonnet! Your daughters are beautiful as well as your knitting. I can't wait to hear more about your designing and such!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love your hats! I would buy one in a flash x

    ReplyDelete
  29. Beautiful! Both the hat and the model. If you used these photos you would sell hundreds I am sure! Believe! Dream! Soar!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Greer, I meant to tell you back when you first posted this, but I am so excited that you're venturing out creatively and professionally! We are working on figuring out how to incorporate more of our passion and creativity into our vocation, too, so it's inspiring to hear of your plans. I'm sure you will be wildly successful!! Blessings on your adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Before I started reading the post, I was thinking of asking you to sell me one of the mustard/brown bonnets!!! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Thanks for yours!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...