Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Picking Up


Another Wednesday, another Yarn Along. I had the highest hopes of being finished with my Abalone this week, but a very special occasion got in the way of my knitting time. That, and the fact that I'm up to the bit where I have to pick up a million stitches for the band. Or it might be a zillion. The pattern has been very relaxed about how many stitches I'm actually supposed to be working with. Even how many I cast on was optional, based on a quick calculation using my gauge swatch and the distance between my nipples. Yes. I sat there looking down at the tape measure in front of me wondering how that was meant to translate into anything (22cm if you're interested) until I finally realised, literally as I was lying in bed one night, that the measurement was supposed to be taken from one nipple and around my back to the other. D'oh. 


Anyway, the shoulders have been Kitchener-stitched together, the whole thing fits nicely, and now we just await the energy for the great stitch pick-up. I'm ready to wear it now so I'd better get on with it.


Instead, as one does, I've cast on a new project, a tiny thing on four needles! Not socks, but striped Legwarmies. I've never been enamoured with working on double-pointed needles, and working with the two colours just adds to the tangle. But I persist because I know they'll be super-cute on a pair of super-chubbly-wubbly little legs that turn a year old this week. And it's a great way to use up all the leftover Baby Cashmerino from that cardigan.


Reading this week - birthday books and not much else.


I'm off to see what everyone else is knitting and reading over at the Yarn Along.

25 comments:

  1. love the stripes ! i'm striping with THREE colours, which is easy, compared to the colourwork i really want to be attempting.
    happy wednesday!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean about DPN's, but I do love those stripes. It will be well worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. glad you found out about the nipple measurement. that woulda kept me awake too...lolololol

    :)
    jen

    ReplyDelete
  4. DPN's always make so nervous around the children, but sometimes there's just no other way is there. They'll look lovely though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh those tricky patterns! Glad you figured it out.
    Love the reading material, I really am a huge Dr. Suess fan.
    Have a great Yarn Along day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm still laughing at your nipple measuring, thats so funny!!!!!! I just love stripes :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. My little guy just pointed out that we have the Richard Scarry story book too :) It's a big time favorite around here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeh for stripes! They are going to look so cute. Richard Scarry and Julia Donaldson books are read and read again in our household. Happy kind of books.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love those striped leggings - they will look sweet on chubby legs for sure. You are too funny with the abalone measurements! As for your books, I was going to say that it looked like all the ones you may have read as a child, but then Julia D's books probably would not fit in that category. Love the Richard Scarry book as a child - I remember studying each illustration intently.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I find that as you get farther along on the dpn's it gets easier and then I don't even notice them really. But in the beginning, oiy! and I love the Kitchener stitch. It is very meditative to me. Love Richard Scarry!! some of my favorite books to read when my boys were young.
    Enjoy the day~
    Peace~
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  12. I cannot wait to see your sweater once it is done! The leg warmers are super cute and worth the tangled yarn :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Legwarmers on little, chubby legs are charming!
    And we have the same Richard Scarry book!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love legarmies on my little one! I need to make her another pair. Happy birthday to the two little's! I love the stack of new books!

    ReplyDelete
  15. can't wait to see those legwarmies on those chubby little legs!!! It'll be well worth the hassle!

    ReplyDelete
  16. hee hee, greer you make me giggle. good luck picking up and have fun striping. (can't wait to see those little legs!)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I just love legwarmers and those are going to be so cute in the stripes :) Looks like some great books to. Happy knitting :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love Dr Seuss, and legwarmers on little chubby legs are so adorable...

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh, The Lorax! I was reading it recently at work. (the library - we got a new copy)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your nipple measuring was hilarious! Those books look great. Good luck with the knitting. I love how we realize things lying in bed. D'oh!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for the chuckle. The stripes look fabulous and I can just picture them on chubby legs.

    ReplyDelete
  22. two words that changed my knitting life forever - magic loop. I never used DPN's, although I think I tried once and knitted maybe 3 stitches bfore I cried. Now I magic loop knit everything small enough to need DPN's.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Those leggings look just like a pair of socks I made a couple weeks ago. Luckily the yarn did the striping for me. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Goodness those leg warmers are cute on little baby legs. Had to add that to my queue. The stripes look really nice!

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a lovely blog and lovely family and a really fun post. The legwarmies are cute I can't wait to see them on chubby little legs...
    Deb

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Thanks for yours!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...