Friday, May 24, 2013

A Very Bloggy Morning Tea - Day Five


After a long week of tea, coffee, hot chocolate and sweet treats, I thought we might bring a bit of razzle-dazzle to round off the week. This has all been for my mum - who I miss terribly - and if there's one thing my mum didn't mind, it was a glass or two of the bubbly stuff. If the occasion called for it, even if it was before midday, then she would go stoically forth and pop that cork. Christmas morning, for example, always involved champers. Brunch often could. So A Very Bloggy Morning Tea really ought to as well, don't you agree? Pop!

I've a savoury treat for you today. Did I just hear someone cry "More tarts"? Why, yes, more tarts. Bacon and silver beet, don't you know?

We are so near the target, good people. Please pop over and donate if you were thinking you might and hadn't got around to it. Even a handful of dollars will be appreciated. And do pop back later for our final guest post from a stylish lady with an incredible eye for beauty. Gosh, there's a lot of popping going on.

And before I go, I thought I'd share the little story I put together for the Cancer Council website last week about last year's Very Bloggy Morning Tea. It's what this has all been about. I hope you don't mind.

::::::

My mum rather liked a nice cuppa. 

She was a tea-in-the-morning type, like me. And she used to retire at night with a cup of black tea, always in a fine bone china cup and saucer, always with a slice of lemon. She’d sip on it as she sat up in bed reading her latest favourite book.

During the day, however, it was coffee - good coffee from good cafes. Like me, she ordered a soy latte every time.

Mum died five years ago when the renal cell carcinoma that had claimed a kidney years earlier and returned in her liver, won its brutal fight. She left behind seven grandbabies, three of them - one from each daughter - born in the year since her diagnosis

I never thought I’d be the fundraiser type. I read stories of people who, through illness, accident and loss, are inspired and energised to start foundations, run marathons, climb mountains for a cause. It takes a special kind of person.

But having some friends over for morning tea? That’s easy. That I can do.

Just over a year ago, my little family and I moved out of the city for a new life in a rural village. As keen as I was to put on my floral apron and start rolling out scones in my lovely country kitchen, the reality of my situation then was that I knew about three people who I could invite over. We wouldn’t have raised much money.

But I had a blog and I ‘knew’ lots of people in that virtual space who’d willingly “pop in” for some tea and a slice of cake (or at least a recipe). So I held my Biggest Morning Tea online. Unlike in the real world, this morning tea went on for an entire week. And I had guests showing up not only from all over the country, but as far afield as Singapore, England and Canada. My old Sydney friends came to the party with generous donations, and people I’d never met in real life, and still haven’t, also parted with their hard-earned cash.

Every day there was something sweet to eat, with an accompanying recipe. I showed off my collection of vintage tea sets, some that used to belong to my granny. I gathered together some lovely bits and pieces to give away as lucky door prizes to show my appreciation. And when it was all said and done, and the last teacup had been polished and put back in the cabinet, we’d raised over $1,000 for a mighty good cause.

So what did I learn from hosting my virtual Biggest Morning Tea? That no matter the context, people enjoy a celebration. That if you’re enthusiastic enough, they’ll come along for the ride. That parting with $10 or $20 or $100 in honour of my mum, or anyone’s mum, is heart-filling, not wallet-draining. 

And that just like my mum, people rather like a nice cuppa.


Photo by Briony of Catch Photography.




11 comments:

  1. thank you so much for sharing this story, Greer. I do love a spot of bubbly in the AM, too. It's a bit special- and life's too short to wait until midday! Might have to bang out some of those tarts for dinner, I don't think the pumpkin and silverbeet soup is going to fly with my dags. ;)sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Greer, this is a lovely story, even if sad. I'm older than you, my eldest grandson is 14 and the youngest, his cousin, is 7, but I still miss my mum. My sons, her grandsons, still talk fondly of Moo's fondness for a few bubbles or the glass of wine (or more than one glass) with dinner. They also remember her cooking, which is why I've been posting her recipes this week. A tribute to her as she died of CLL, a leukaemia.

    Your story touched me especially this morning. I've just seen the milk tanker towed away where a man died when he ran into a building. This happened about a minute's walk from my place. The cabin was obliterated.

    I've had two cups of coffee but may make some tea too as the sight of it shook me up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Greer, so beautifully written. Your Mum would be looking down so proud of you :). You are a truly lovely person who has put together something incredibly lovely every day this week. I know I speak on behalf of many when I say, we looked forward to seeing what lovely story and treats you would share with us each day. Congratulations - you deserve to celebrate on a truly special 'Biggest Morning Tea' week. lots of love lisa xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Greer. That is truly a beautiful piece and a stunning photo of you with your Mum. I've loved your blog this week, it's been so interesting and delightful and eye- and heart- opening. Thank you for all the personal touches and all the recipes. I feel like I've come to know you a lot better over this week. Xx Deb

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Greer.
    Thank you for sharing those special words and this special week with all of us.
    I have so admired your efforts...so many beautiful posts and photos and recipes...and of course all of your fundraising!
    Cheers to you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Greer thankyou for sharing your story. I lost my mum 31 years ago (aged 53). She passed away just 7 months after I married my one and only. I am sad that she never met my two daughters. My darling hubby has been battling cancer since 2008 and is to start chemo again next week.
    Thank you for hosting the best morning teas I have ever attended!
    Congratulations on exceeding your target !

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh greero - I think Gail would have LOVED your morning tea! Of course she would have had a few ideas to add to it. Well done old girl, I confess to more than a few salty tears when I read today's blog - a beautiful celebration for a beautiful lady x

    ReplyDelete
  8. You've done such an awesome thing here this week. Thank you for sharing your story. That last photo is really lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Greer, this has me in tears. I lost my mother this past November to Motor Neuron Disease (In america we call it ALS -but I think it is called MND in Australia). Painful and heartbreaking. I miss her terribly somedays, yet I deplored single thing the disease did to her.

    This, this here is something so precious. A gift to the memory of your mother. What a beautiful and generous thing to do. thank you for giving hope (to me, to the world). hope is a precious thing. xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Greer, I keep coming back to this post unable to find the appropriate words.......that is the most beautiful photo of the two of you. You've done an amazing job this week and I've loved being a part of it. Mel xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Greer, your Mum would be so so proud of you. xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Thanks for yours!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...