Thursday, May 23, 2013

Pear and Pecan Brownie, Oh, Yeah


So, you know how I feel about coffee. It's one of life's absolute necessities, and a dear, darling old friend. I have a vague memory of a time in my very early twenties when, on visits to cafes, I would order a chocolate milkshake. I can't even imagine it now.

Another of life's necessities would have to be chocolate, and if it has to take the form of an oozy, gooey brownie, then so be it. I will not argue.


You will need:

200g dark chocolate
200g butter
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
4 eggs
1 1/2 cups plain flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup pecans
3/4 cup poached pears, diced (you could use tinned whole pears)




Preheat oven to 160 degrees Celsius.

Toast pecans in a dry saucepan, being careful not to burn. Reserve 12 whole ones and roughly chop the rest.

In a saucepan, melt chocolate and butter over gentle heat. Combine sugar, eggs, flour and baking powder in a bowl. Pour over melted chocolate mix and stir it all really well, until it gets lovely and glossy. Fold through chopped pecans and pears.

Line a 15x25cm slice tin with baking paper. Pour in brownie mixture. Place the reserved whole pecans evenly on top of the brownie mix like little soldiers all in a row. Bake for 35-40 minutes until just cooked but still a bit oozy.

Brew coffee. Pour into cup. Grab a square of brownie. Eat, quick, eat!


At last count we'd raised $1,635. I don't even know what to say. You guys!!! I wonder can we hit the $2,000 revised target by close of business tomorrow. Spread the word if you feel you can. It'd be pretty cool if we did. And thank you, thank you, thank you so much. A square of pear and pecan brownie for everyone!!!

See you back here tomorrow to celebrate our final day. Emphasis on 'celebrate'!

8 comments:

  1. They look delicious. Just as well this morning tea ends soon. I have eaten soooooo much this week and have found delicious recipes scattered through the blogs. I must admit I've added to the number.

    Well done, I put a link in today's entry and an encouragement to donate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, thank you so much ��. Morning tea for Saturday, as I'm working tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my!! I am definitely going to grab me some pecans and make this amazing brownie!! Thanks so much for sharing!
    I'm pleased to have found your blog today! From another Highlands mum! Looking forward to poking around your blog and getting to know you! :) May even bump into you in RL sometime! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Coffee is my absolute ~ can't go a day without a good strong brew ~ and I will definitely whip up a batch of these brownies for the weekend to accompany my cuppa!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Greer, I've got to say, I've just sat here for the last 20 minutes with a cup of tea reading through all your posts, guests posts and recipes and it's been a real treat, it really has. Good writing, gorgeous photos, cake (CAKE!) and new recipes to try...just fab. Well done for organising a bumper week of posts and congrats on an amazing fundraising target.

    Also - you have a seriously impressive array of cups and saucers! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mouth is watering, what a perfect combination!

    Harri

    at-rubik.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Greer, just wanted to let know that I just whipped up this brownie and fed it to the children (we're having a Family Sick Day today). Anyway I didn't have a pear and the boys asked me not to put nuts in it for some reason, but other than that I used your recipe as is. The response from the children? Elliott gave it 10 out of 10, and Finn said This is the BEST TREAT EVER. He then drew a cartoon of him and me, with a speech bubble saying "Finn, have another brownie," and him saying "yay" and he then went on to say "now let's act that out." That's how much they like it. I did too. Thanks for sharing and Congratulations on your Morning Tea success x

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds amazing. I can't wait to taste it. I'll have to hide it from my husband as he always manages to eat all of the sweet treats in one go.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Thanks for yours!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...